Position Title: Care Attendant Classification: Non-Exempt
Department: Senior Housing Supervisor: Director of Senior Housing
Job Description Date: 10.12.15
Required Job Qualifications:
- Compassionate and caring individual interested in caring for the elderly
- 16 years of age
- Valid driver’s license
- High School graduate
- Previous experience working for the elderly
- The Care Attendant is responsible for providing personal care and delegated nursing services designed to maintain the tenants’ physical and emotional well being.
- Graduate of a recognized nursing assistant program and in good standing with the Minnesota NA/registry; or successful completion of our facility’s orientation and training program for unlicensed personnel and has been determined competent to provide services and follow our facility’s procedures by our RN.
- Adaptability and flexibility in dealing with changing situations and an ability to remain calm when dealing with tenants and their families, with a positive and pleasant manner and kind tone of voice.
- Ability to demonstrate good judgment and observation skills.
- Ability to effectively communicate with peers, supervisors and tenants.
- Ability to deal tactfully and compassionately with tenants, their family members, other staff and to exhibit good customer service skills at all times.
- Ability to read, write, comprehend and follow verbal and written instructions, including medical terminology.
- Ability to work independently and to use good problem solving skills.
- Ability to meet the physical demands of the position, with or without accommodation.
- Ability to work flexible times, including weekends, evenings and holidays.
- Experience in working with older adults. Previous experience in a hospital, nursing home or home care agency preferred.
- Must be dependable and punctual with a good attendance record.
- Must be able to prioritize and organize work effectively and efficiently.
- Must work as a team member with other personnel, the LPN, RN and Director
Essential Responsibilities and Functions:
- Assist the tenant with personal cares as identified in the assignment sheet/tenant care plan. These cares may include all or some of the following: assisting with dressing, grooming and oral cares; shampooing of hair; assisting with showering or bathing; rubbing with lotions; fingernail cares and foot cares if instructed to do so by an RN; redirection of a confused tenant, and other cares as assigned.
- Assisting the tenant in the use of the commode, urinal, toilet and with adult incontinence products as assigned.
- Assisting with ambulation and transfers, including proper use of a transfer belt and assistive devices and proper body mechanics to avoid injury.
- Assist in use of hearing aids and glasses for tenants.
- Medication reminders, assistance or administration as delegated by the RN.
- Prepare meals as directed, following special meal plans if instructed.
- Take and record temperature, blood pressure, pulse and respiration as instructed. Report changes or concerns to RN.
- Notify RN of any complaints or concerns raised by the tenant or the tenant’s family or representative.
- Help each tenant to reach and maintain his/her highest level of performance and independence. Must promote tenants’ independence, not dependence, by offering choices and fostering self-help skills.
- Establish rapport with tenants, lead tenant in activities as assigned and provide socialization and companionship to tenants while performing assigned tasks.
- Assist with treatments as delegated by the RN according to the tenant’s individualized care plan or with therapy tasks as assigned by a licensed health professional.
- Observe tenant and report to the LPN or RN changes in the tenant’s physical and emotional condition, such as change in attitude, appearance, loss of appetite, weight, etc.
- Assist co-workers with daily responsibilities when needed.
- Organize and prioritize assigned work during scheduled shift to complete assigned tasks.
- Responsible for taking adequate supplies or equipment to the tenants’ home that are needed to complete the assigned tasks.
- Document services provided accurately and consistent with facility policies and complete all required paperwork in a timely and legible manner.
- Attend required in-service training—at least 8 hours for every 12 months of employment as well as staff meetings and other facility events.
- Follow facility procedures for universal precautions when performing assigned tasks.
- Maintain a clean environment for tenants. Dust, vacuum, mop and other household chores as scheduled and assigned.
- Use appropriate diversion activities when dealing with tenants with dementia.
- Follow facility dress code and wear name tag while at work and maintain good personal hygiene and grooming.
- Follow facility policies regarding safety rules and requirements and report any issues or concerns about your safety or any injuries immediately to the LPN or RN.
Effective and satisfactory performance related to this job description includes employee compliance with laws, rules and regulations that are applicable to Mother of Mercy and to the employee. Employee is also required to conform his or her behavior with Mother of Mercy policies, practices, and this job description may be changed from time to time at the sole discretion of Mother of Mercy.
To apply for this job email your details to SJarveis@momcampus.org